In order to implement the Tui framework as our new technology stack alongside Totara Learn's existing technology stack, the Legacy Theme has been created. This theme is intended as a stop-gap solution to bridge the differences between technology stacks.
Before Totara 13, a different set of tasks are run during the build process to create output files intended for downloading to the client. Please see this documentation for information on editing and maintaining the technology stack used with Roots, Basis and Legacy (and likely any custom themes created using this technology stack).
Read more about creating themes using the Legacy technology stack.
The nature of Totara Learn's older technology stack is such that several difficult technical parameters are still in place. The dependency on Bootstrap as a UI library remains in place for backwards compatibility, and is partly the root cause of these technical parameters. Notably, Bootstrap applies globally scoped element CSS resets, element default CSS styles and then element plus selector-based rules that apply CSS properties that affect all elements, everywhere, including Tui framework components. This is a very difficult technical parameter to remove or work around, and because of this the following applies:
- Legacy still applies a reset and element defaults
- Ventura still relies upon these global reset and element defaults, but supplies per-component overrides within client/src/ as required
- Legacy LESS superset CSS styles have been converted to SCSS
- Legacy duplicates Tui CSS variables
- Legacy applies CSS variable values to SCSS variable values, including Bootstrap variable values
While this complicates both the Cascade and specificity, it also means that going forward there is a pathway to:
- Refactor Totara Learn features into a component-centric approach
- Remove the refactored feature dependencies on Legacy and Bootstrap
- Simplify the Cascade and specificity
Legacy Mustache templates
Mustache logicless HTML templates remain in place for backwards compatibility. This includes non-Theme templates. Notably, there will be a number of minor changes to templates to facilitate visual consistency between Legacy styles and Tui framework styles - these have been kept to a minimum. For more information see Mustache templates.
Image assets are still mediated by PHP and served to the client as per the originally intended design for earlier versions of Totara.
Legacy mediation and caching