The Current learning block shows a combined view of all current courses, programs, and certifications in a single unified view. The block shows the status (Not yet started or In progress) and a completion due date (if there is one).
Determining which items are displayed to the user is controlled via a set of rules. Since programs and certifications contain one or more courses, duplication of courses is avoided by only showing standalone courses in the main list, and displaying information about courses that form part of a program or certification inside the expanded view of that item (when using the default list view).
Content display rules
For courses to be displayed they must either feature in the users active learning plan(s) and/or the user is enrolled in the course. However, even if a course matches those two criteria, it will not be displayed if:
- The course is not visible (hidden).
- The course is part of an active program or certification (as this would lead to duplication).
- The course status is either Complete or Complete via RLP.
For programs and certifications to be displayed the learner must be assigned to them and/or they must be part of the learner's active learning plan(s). However, even if a program or certification matches those two criteria, it will not be displayed if:
- The program/certification is disabled (this is done via Configure features > Learn settings).
- The program/certification is not visible (hidden), this includes hiding via audience based visibility.
- The program/certification is marked as Complete.
- The program/certification is marked as unavailable.
Configuring Current learning block
In addition to the standard or Common block settings, there are a number of configurable options specific to the Current learning block.
Item due warning period
You can set the time (in seconds, minutes, hours, days, or weeks) for when the item will be flagged with a warning that it is due soon. For example you could set this to 1 week so that it warns learners of upcoming due dates a week in advance.
|If the warning period is zero or the item has no due date, no warning will be shown.|
|Item due alert period|
This allows you to set the period (in seconds, minutes, hours, days, or weeks) for when to alert a learner that and item's due date is less than the period given (for example 5 days). The item will be flagged with an alert indicating it is about to become overdue.
If the alert period is zero or the item has no due date, no alert will be shown.
Determine how learning items are displayed in the block. Choose from:
List view is the default selection.
The warnings and alerts displayed on both views are based on the Item due warning period and Item due alert period block settings.
Where a user is enrolled in a course and they are required to completed it, the course will typically appear in their Current Learning block. Should a course not be listed in a user's current learning block, it is likely that their role in that course has not been set as a Graded role. To modify graded roles:
- Go to Quick-access menu > Grades > General Settings (or search for Graded roles).
- Check any roles from the list of available options and Save Changes.
- Check the user's current learning (by refreshing the Dashboard page).
© Copyright 2020 Totara Learning Solutions. All rights reserved.