Goal scales are a customisable set of levels representing levels of achievement of a particular goal. Goal scales enable you to define the criteria by which a goal can be measured. For example, a scale might have three values 'Complete, In Progress, Started'. Another scale may simply list if the goal was 'Achieved' or 'Not Achieved'.
Each group of goals, or goal framework, can have a different scale so that goals can be measured using a variety of ranges or values.
Create a goal scale
- Go to Quick-access menu > Goals > Manage goals.
- Click the Add a new goal scale button.
- Enter a Name that describes this scale; it will be visible when selecting the scale to use in a framework.
- Enter the Scale values with one value one each line. Values should be in order from most complete to least. For example:
- In Progress
- Enter a Description of the scale.
- Click the Save changes button.
Be sure to edit the new scale to set the default value and mark which values will be considered as complete.
Edit a goal scale
- Once a scale has been created, it can be selected and used within a framework. If a scale is in use, the Used column will say Yes and the Delete button will not be available. An existing scale can be updated by clicking on the Edit icon under Options.
The existing scale values will be hidden; click on the Click here link to view and edit the scale.
The Default Value is automatically assigned to a user when they have not yet demonstrated the proficiency required by the goal's specified evidence item(s) (course/activity completion, or passing course/activity grade).
Consider complete values provide a way for the system to track if a user has completed a particular goal. A goal is considered complete if the scale value set has Consider complete set to Yes. You must have at least one scale value marked as consider complete and may have multiple selected. This value cannot be changed if a scale is already in use.
- To update a scale value, click the Edit icon.
- After making changes, click the Save changes button.
Scale values cannot be created, reordered, or deleted in order to preserve data integrity. You can update the Scale value name, enter an optional ID number or change the Description of the item. Note that if you rename scale values it may confuse users when their proficiency changes without warning.
The Scale value numerical value is the quantitative value associated with the qualitative description in the name. Values with Consider complete set to Yes will have a value of 1; otherwise the value will be 0.
The Totara Academy has a whole course dedicated to using Goals in Totara. Here you can learn more on how to use goals, see best practice, and give it a go yourself.
© Copyright 2020 Totara Learning Solutions. All rights reserved.