The 'My Learning' tab contains a link to the 'My Learning Plans' page.
The page contains a list of your learning plans, if any learning plans have been created. A summary of the learning plan including the due date and progress status is displayed.
Learning plans are grouped into Active, Unapproved and Completed and displayed in chronological order.
The way learning plans work in your organisation is determined by the learning plan template set by the site administrator. So, for some organisations learners cannot edit their plans; only managers, while other organisations may allow both managers and learners to edit the learning plans.
Create a learning plan
When you are ready to create a new plan, click on 'Create a new plan' on the 'My Learning Plans' page.
- Click 'Create a new plan'
- Enter the plan name, description and completion date
- Click 'Create plan'.
The learning plan created is based on the template set by the site administrator.
Click the 'Courses' tab to view the course options for your learning plan.
- Click 'Add/remove courses' to add a course to your learning plan.
- Select the course(s).
- The selected courses appear in the right hand column, click the course to remove.
- Click 'OK' to add the course(s) to your learning plan.
Note: When there are more than 100 courses in the category, you can only use the search function to select courses.
Once a course has been added you are able to set the 'Priority' and 'Due Date' (depending on the template settings).
Click 'Delete' to remove a course from your learning plan.
Click the 'Competencies' tab to view the competencies options for your learning plan.
Note: Your Site Administrator can set up your learning plan to work in a specific way, so for example they can select for competencies assigned to your position and/or organisation to automatically appear in your learning plan when created.
- Click 'Add/Remove Competencies' to add a competency to your learning plan.
- Select the competency framework you wish to add competencies from.
- Select the competencies you wish to add.
- The selected competencies appear in the right hand column, click the competency to remove.
- Click 'Continue'.
- When you select a competency with a course assigned as an evidence item, the course(s) are displayed, the course(s) is selected by default, click the checkbox to prevent the course being added to your learning plan.
- click 'Ok' to add the competencies and course(s) to your learning plan.
Note: When there are more than 100 competencies in the framework, you can only use the search function to select competencies.
Once a competency has been added you are able to set the 'Priority' and 'Due Date' (depending on the template settings).
Click 'Delete' to remove a competency from your learning plan.
Click the 'Objectives' tab to view the objective options for your learning plan.
- Click 'Add new objective' to add an objective to your learning plan.
- Enter a title and description.
- Set a priority, if available.
- Click 'Add objective'.
Once an objective has been added you are able to set the 'Priority' and 'Due Date' (depending on the template settings).
Click 'Delete' to remove an objective from your learning plan.
Submitting a learning plan for approval
Once you have completed the plan click 'Send approval request' to submit your plan for approval. A notification is sent to your manager and a new task appears on your manager 'My Team' dashboard.
When you manager approves or declines you plan a notification is sent to you.
Editing a learning plan
Before a plan is submitted for approval you can go in and add/remove courses, competencies and objectives.
Once you have submitted your learning plan for approval what you can edit depends on how your Totara Site Administrator has set up the processes for your Totara site.
Click 'Add/remove courses', 'Add/remove competencies' and 'Add new objectives' to add an item to the learning plan. When an item is added to an approved plan a notice of draft item appears, click 'Send approval request' to request approval of the added item.
Learning plan comments
Learning plans have a comments section, which allows a dialogue between the learner and their manager. Comments have been added to the plan as a whole, and also to each individual item (course, competency, etc) in the plan. Comments appear as a linear list of comments, and are also emailed between the users involved in the conversation.
To add a Comment on a team members learning plan
- Select My Learning > Learning Plans.
- Select the Plan you want to comment on.
- Type in the comment.
- Click 'Save comment'.
- A history of the saved comments will be kept on the learning plan.