The preferences page provide access to various settings and rules specific to a user. It can be accessed directly from the User menu within the Custom main menu area.
Site Administrators can also access the preferences of another user from a link on their Profile page.
The sections and information displayed is dependent on the user's permissions within the system as well as whether functionality (such as Notes and Messaging) has been turned on at the site level.
Links here allow users to edit their profile information and change their password, set their preferred language (if allowed) specify how they wish to receive forum messages and other notifications, choose a text editor (if allowed). Within the user account section you will find links to:
- Edit profile: A user can edit their account and profile information including update their password and upload a user picture from this link (see User accounts for more information)
- Change password: Where allowed, a user can also reset their password from the Change password link (all passwords must adhere to the password policy as set within the Site administration menu via Security > Security settings
- Preferred language: Note that specifying a preferred language here will only affect the Totara Learn navigation and contextual help and not any course content (see Site language for more information)
- Forum preferences: Allows users to set their forum preferences including digest types (see Forum for more information)
- Editor preferences: Allows the user to select their default editor from those available on the site (see Text editors for more information)
- Calendar: You can edit some of your personal display preferences for the calendar, including time format (12 or 24 hour clock), when the first day of the week is, and how many upcoming events to display (see Calendar for more information)
- Security keys: If Enable RSS feeds has been ticked by a Site Administrator under Site Administration menu > Advanced features then it is possible to generate and reset a security key for use with external services. Site Administrators can also generate security keys for users, please see the Manage tokens section of the Web services help page.
- Message preferences: Allows users to set their own preferences on how to receive personal messages between users
- Notification preferences: Allows users to configure how the want to receive notifications for different events within Totara Learn
- Administration navigation settings: Allows users to configure how the Site administration menu will appear for them
Here the user can manage and download their badges, set privacy levels and connect to their backpack. Within the badges section you will find links to:
- Manage badges: All badges earned within the Totara Learn site by completing courses, course activities and other requirements can be managed within this area including whether the badges are displayed to all users or are private within the user's profile page
- Badge preferences: Allows a user to specify the default visibility of the newly earned badges
- Backpack settings: Allows the user to set up connection to an external backpack provider
See the Open badges Help page for more information on using and managing badges, as well as connecting to external providers.
The user's roles and permissions may be viewed and updated here by a Site Administrator and roles assigned within the individual's account (user context). Within the roles section you will find links to:
- This user's role assignments: Displays the user's permissions at the various contexts where applied (system, front page, program, category, course, activity/resource, block, and/or user)
- Assign roles relative to this user: Assign a role at this user's context from the list available
- Permissions: Show which capabilities the various user roles available within the site, have at this user's context
- Check permissions: Check the capabilities specific users hold within this user's context
Where portfolios have been enabled and configured, their visibility can be set here on an individual basis.
If repositories are enabled on the site then there will be a link here to Manage instances. See the Repositories Help page for more information.
Blog preferences may be set here and external blogs registered. Within the blog section you will find links to:
- Blog preferences: A user may specify the number of blog entries which will be displayed per page
- External blogs: A user may register an external blog so that it displays within this area
- Register an external blog: When registering an external blog you may set the following
See the Blogs Help page for more guidance on using and configuring external (and internal) blogs.
What displays here depends on the permissions and roles of the user and the functionality enabled within the site. For example, if Event monitoring is enabled on the site, a link will be available in this section.