Custom fields allow you to set up custom fields on the Course settings page.
To add a course custom field:
- Select Site Administration > Courses > Custom fields.
- Select the type of custom field you wish to use.
- All new fields must be given a unique Short Name and a Name (this is displayed on the profile page).
- Enter a Description for the field for your own reference.
- Select the field configuration option.
- Is this field required?: This option specifies whether this is a mandatory or optional field for user accounts.
- Is this field locked?: This option determines whether once information is populated in this field, it cannot be edited by the user.
- Should the data be unique?: If you need the information populated in your field to be unique across the system (such as an ID number) select Yes to this option and the profile page update will perform a validation check on the data entered.
- Display on signup page?: Depending on the authentication method in use on your Totara site, you may have some users creating their own accounts. If you would like this custom field to appear on the registration or signup page, select Yes.Who is this field visible to?: Each custom field can be given one of three visibility settings:
- Visible to everyone:Can be used for any type of information.
- Not visible: Typically set by an administrator who wants to hold private data on the users.
- Visible to user: Normally selected for a field that holds sensitive information.
- Click Save changes.
Allowing the capability totara/core:coursemanagecustomfield allows course custom fields to be created, updated, and deleted.
This capability is allowed for the Site manager role by default.