User software and hardware specifications
The Totara Learn and e-learning content will work various hardware platforms, but the following is an example of a minimum-specification that would be expected to deliver a rich, interactive user experience:
- PC or Mac.
- Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 or above, Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or above, Modern Linux variant.
- 32-bit colour graphics.
- Keyboard and mouse.
- Recommended minimum browser: Google Chrome 30, Firefox 25.0, Safari 6, Internet Explorer 8 (Internet Explorer 10 required for drag and drop of files from outside the browser into Totara).
- If Flash is used in the solution It is strongly recommended to use the latest version of Flash player.
As e-learning is usually delivered online we would recommend the following bandwidths for internet access:
- Minimum bandwidth: 256 kbps.
- If using video: 512 kbps.
The following hardware specification illustrates an example of a system hosting a site with approximately 10,000 users (approx. 500 concurrent).
- Platform: Dell PowerEdge 2950.
- Processor: 2x Quad Core Xeon E5420 @ 2.5GHz.
- Memory: 4GB.
- Storage: 4x 146GB 10,000RPM hard disks.
- Dell PERC 6 RAID controller.
- 160MB disk space required for core Totara files.
- 1-5GB or greater disk space required for additional teaching and course materials.
- Connectivity: 100MBit Full-Duplex Dedicated Switch Port Connection.
Specific hardware requirements for your project will depend on the volume of anticipated concurrent users and other factors.
A Linux based system is recommended for high performance – e.g. CentOS, Redhat, Ubuntu Server Edition
Apache 2.x.x or IIS (Apache recommended)
It is recommended you use the latest PHP 5.5 or 5.6 release.
Postgres 9.1 or greater
MySQL 5.5.31 or greater
MSSQL 2008 or greater
If you get an error message when installing Totara Learn using MySQL about Innodb file format not being correct then you may need to convert to Barracuda format. You can read more in the developer documentation.
Server PHP configuration
The following PHP settings are recommended:
For Totara 2.9 it is also recommended that the following PHP extensions are installed: