Dashboards allow content to be displayed on selected user's Home page. Dashboards are able to be assigned to audiences and users can select and customise their assigned dashboards if allowed.
The default home page is initially set to the Totara dashboard for all logged in users on a new site. To change this, from the Administration block go to Site Administration > Appearance > Navigation > Default home page > Totara dashboard.
The Totara dashboard is also referred to as the My Learning page and can be accessed by clicking on the Dashboard tab. It contains the Current learning block, which is a really useful way for learners to see their progress and any outstanding learning.
(This video is taken from the Dashboards and basic theming course in the Totara Academy, where you can access more resources and learning materials - including other videos).
Create a Totara dashboard
- Select Site administration > Advanced features > Enable Totara Dashboard > Show.
- Select Site Administration > Appearance > Dashboards.
Click Create dashboard.
- Add the following information:
Name: Description of dashboard so assigned users know the audience the dashboard is aimed at.
Locked: Assigned users will not be able to customise their dashboard when locked, unlocking shows customisation made to user's dashboard and allows further customising.
Choose from Assigned audiences - Availability: Available to no users, Available to all logged in users, Available only to the following audiences.
- Select Assign new audiences.
- Select Save changes.
Manage Totara dashboards
- Select Site Administration > Appearance > Dashboards to view all dashboards.
- Select the Edit icon to change the settings of existing dashboards.
- Select Publish/Unpublish icon to change the dashboard visibility.
Select the arrow icon to change the order of dashboards.
When a user is assigned to more than one dashboard the dashboard that is higher up in the order is displayed.
Select clone dashboard icon to make a copy of the dashboard including the blocks that have been added to it and any audience assignments.
Select Reset dashboard for all users resets the selected dashboard to the original layout for all assigned users.
In order to edit dashboard blocks users require the following capabilities. Manage dashboard (totara/dashboard:manage) allows the user to manage the dashboard and Manage dashboard blocks (totara/dashboard:manageblocks) allows the user to manage blocks on dashboards. Additionally, users require the capability to configure system templates for My Learning pages (moodle/my:configsyspages).
Customise a dashboard
Users that have been assigned to a dashboard and have the dashboard unlocked are able to customise the dashboard.
- Select Home menu to display the dashboards assigned.
- Select the dashboard you want to customise.
- Select Customise dashboard.
- Select the Add a Block block.
- Select the Block from the drop down list you wish to display on the dashboard.
- Drag the Block to the position required on the page.
- Select the Actions icon on the Block to display required content in the block.
- Select Stop customising dashboard when you have finished adding blocks.
If you need to go back to the original dashboard before customising select the Reset dashboard to default button.
There is a Dashboards block that can be used to allow users to select their dashboard if the user has more than one assigned dashboard.
Learn more and try it for yourself in the Dashboards and basic theming course on the Totara Academy.