Web services allow external systems to control your Totara site.They can be enabled under Administration > Site administration > Advanced features.
It is recommended that you only enable web services if you intend to use them. Since this feature allows external systems to control your site it could leave your Totara Learn vulnerable if you have web services enabled but don't use them.
If Mobile web services are enabled then you can use Totara with the mobile app; this is an open source contribution which is not covered under any subscription support agreements. If you'd still like to find out more, including where to download it, then please visit the Totara Community forums.
The Overview page walks you through the necessary steps for setting up web services, this includes setting up mobile devices, enabling access for external systems, and setting up users as clients.
If you want to see the API documentation for your site, then you need to follow the path Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Web services > API Documentation.
As different Totara sites can choose to enable and restrict certain web services, then the API documentation becomes tailored to an individual site.
You can save the API documentation as a PDF by clicking the Print all button, this is helpful if you need to share it with someone outside of your site.
To view or edit the functions being carried about by external services enabled on your site, you can go to Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Web services > External services.
In either the Built-in services or Custom services tables, you can click Function next to a particular service to view all the functions being carried out by that service or click Edit to customise the functions that web service is carrying out.
To add a new external service:
- Click the Add link, located underneath the tables Built-in services and Custom services tables.
- Fill out the form, you can click Show more... to see additional options. Mandatory fields are marked with an asterisk (* ).
- Once you've set up everything you need, click Add service to save this new external service (or click Cancel if you no longer wish to add the service).
The Mange protocols page allows you to enable or disable various web service protocols. Available protocols are: AMF, REST, SOAP, and XML-RPC.
It is recommended for security reasons that you only enable protocols that are in use by your site.
If you are either a developer yourself or you are working with a web services client developer then you will want to enable Web services documentation. This is done by ticking the box alongside this option and clicking Save changes.
You can generate a unique token for any users in the system and this is the only way to generate tokens for admin users.
The Manage token page will show you a list all the currently issued token; you can use the delete link to get rid of any of these.
To create a new token:
- Click the Add link under the list of token
- Complete the mandatory fields (marked with an asterisk), you can also add an IP restriction and Valid until date.
- Once you have entered all the required information click Save changes to generate the token, or click Cancel if you don't wish to continue.