- This line was added.
- This line was removed.
- Formatting was changed.
User software and hardware specifications
The Totara Learn and e-learning content will work various hardware platforms, but the following is an example of a minimum specification that would be expected to deliver a rich, interactive user experience:
- PC or Mac.
- Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 or above, Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or above, Modern Linux variant.
- 32-bit colour graphics.
- Keyboard and mouse.
- Recommended minimum browser: Latest Google Chrome, latest Firefox, Safari 9, Internet Explorer 9 (Internet Explorer 10 required for drag and drop of files from outside the browser into Totara).
- It is strongly recommended to use the latest version of Flash player
As e-learning is usually delivered online we would recommend the following bandwidths for internet access:
- Minimum bandwidth: 256 kbps.
- If using video: 512 kbps.
The following hardware specification illustrates an example of a system hosting a site with approximately 10,000 users (approx. 500 concurrent).
- Platform: Dell PowerEdge 2950
- Processor: 2x Quad Core Xeon E5420 @ 2.5GHz
- Memory: 4GB
- Storage: 4x 146GB 10,000RPM hard disks
- Dell PERC 6 RAID controller
- 160MB disk space required for core Totara files
- 1-5GB or greater disk space required for additional teaching and course materials
- Connectivity: 100MBit Full-Duplex Dedicated Switch Port Connection
Specific hardware requirements for your project will depend on the volume of anticipated concurrent users and other factors. If you require more information please speak to your Partner, of if you have an account speak with our Helpdesk to determine your exact requirements.
There was an issue with backup and restore when using MYSQL/ MSSQL running on IIS with PHP 7 and sqlsrv driver. This has been fixed in Totara Learn v9.8 but earlier versions may still have issues.
A Linux based system is recommended for high performance – e.g. CentOS, Redhat, Ubuntu Server Edition
Apache 2.x.x or IIS (Apache recommended)
PHP 5.5.9 minimum, however 7.1 and higher is not supported. It is recommended you use the latest PHP 5.5, 5.6, or 7.0 release.
Postgres 9.2 or greater
MySQL 5.5.31 or greater
MariaDB 5.5.31 or greater
MSSQL 2008 or greater
If you get an error message when installing Totara Learn using MySQL about Innodb file format not being correct then you may need to convert to Barracuda format. You can read more in the developer documentation.
You should also make sure you are familiar with other MySQL limitations, including size limits.
Server PHP configuration
The following PHP settings are recommended:
For Totara 9.0 it is also recommended that the following PHP extensions are installed:
Totara Learning is committed to developing products that meet web accessible guidelines and reporting this compliance openly. We continuously evaluate our product against guidelines and make necessary improvements during the development and design process.
This allows our users to provide an inclusive platform for learning when they are delivering development opportunities to people who have a need for assistive technologies or sites designed with accessibility in mind.