- This line was added.
- This line was removed.
- Formatting was changed.
Totara Connect is a single-sign-on and user identity solution for multiple Totara instances. Connected sites can share user accounts and logins allowing for either all users or selected audiences to navigate between the connected site seamlessly using single sign on technology.
It is now possible to connect your multiple Totara LMS or Totara Social sites to a single Totara LMS site that will act as an identity server.
Totara Connect requires one Totara LMS site to act as the server. Once Totara Connect has been enabled and configured on the server it is then possible to start connecting more Totara LMS or Totara Social sites as clients.
Once connected the designated users and user collections will be synchronised from the server to the client.
Totara Connect server
Totara Connect is a self contained plugin, that facilitates the server side aspects of connecting sites effectively allowing the site to act as a master to which client sites can connect and synchronise.
|Totara Connect server is disabled by default. To enable it you must log in as a site administrator and turn on Enable Totara Connect server which can be found under Site administration > Advanced features.|
Once enabled a new administration section will become available at Site administration > Users > Accounts > Totara Connect server.
Even when enabled, by itself, the server plugin is inactive. It is not until a second Totara LMS (or Totara Social site) is connected as a client that the Totara Connect server provides added functionality.
Totara Connect client
The Totara Connect client is an authentication plugin that facilitates a connection between the current site and one or more Totara LMS sites with an active Totara Connect server.
Setting up Totara Connect client for Totara LMS
Once you 've have enabled the Totara Connect server, you'll then need to configure the Totara Connect client.
- Log in to the client site as site administrator.
- Go to Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > Manage authentication.
- Enable Totara Connect client by selecting the icon in the Enable column.
Go to Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > Manage authentication > Totara Connect client > Servers.
Click Connect to new server.
Info Note down the Client url and Client setup secret as you'll need this information to complete the setup.
Log in as a site administrator to the site which is acting as the Totara Connect server.
- Go to Site administration > Users > Accounts > Totara Connect server > Client systems.
- Click Add client.
- Enter a name for your client, including the client URL and setup secret details you noted down earlier.
- If you want to only add users from a specific audience to your Totara client site, select the audience from the Restrict to audience dropdown.
- Add new courses: Checkbox to sync future "courses"
- Add new audience: Checkbox to sync future audiences (i.e all new audiences created in master site will be added to client sites)
- If you want to synchronise users from one or more audiences , click click the Add audience button and choose the audience(s) you want to add.
If you want tosync
synchronise users whoare
have enrolled inthe
selected course(s), click the Add course button and choose the course(s) you want to add.
All enrolled users in synced courses irrespective of role or enrolment method will be added as an audience in the Totara Client site.
Once complete, click Add client.
Info You'll now see that there is an active connection between the server and the client sites and a new option will become available on the login page of the client site.
Setting up Totara Connect client for Totara Social
To set up a Totara Connect client for Totara Social please see the Totara Social 2.0 documentation for further information.
Logging In with Totara Connect Client
- Login to the server site.
- Type in the address of the Client site.
- Select Log in using your account on:Server site name.
- This will create an account on the server site if it doesn't exist and copy over all the user's profile fields with the exception of
Profile image - these need uploading
Hierarchy fields Position, organisation, Manager, Appraiser
Custom profile fields
Username - generated by Totara Connect (starts with letters tc)
ID number - used by Totara import