New requirements in Totara 9.0:
- PHP version 5.5.9 now required (was 5.4.4 in Totara 2.9).
- PHP zlib and OPcache modules now recommended.
- MSSQL only: Database user requires additional permissions: 'ALTER SETTINGS(SERVER)'.
- MSSQL 2008 now required (was 2005 in Totara 2.6).
- Postgres 9.2 now required (was 9.1 in Totara 2.9).
- MySQL 5.5.31 now required (was 5.1.33 in Totara 2.6).
- MariaDB 5.5.31 now required (was 5.3.5 in Totara 2.6).
To upgrade to Totara 9.0 you must be on Totara 2.2.13 or later. If your version is earlier than 2.2.13 the upgrade will not run. Versions of Totara prior to 2.2 must first upgrade to 2.2 via Totara 1.1.17+, then to at least 2.2.13, before upgrading to 9.0. For more information see Upgrading from Moodle.
- Check the live logs to check if any users are currently using the site. The site will be offline while the upgrades are performed (Site administration > Reports > Live Logs).
- Enable maintenance mode in Totara (Site administration > Server > Maintenance Mode).
- Back up the Totara database.
- Back up the sitedata directory.
- Back up the Totara source code directory.
Remove the old source code, and extract the new source code into the source code directory.
Do not copy the new code on top of the existing code folder.
- Navigate to the admin/index.php page. The upgrade process will automatically start.
- Check for warnings or errors on the upgrade review page.
- Edit new settings page if required.
- Disable server maintenance mode.
- Congratulations, your site is now upgraded. Read CHANGELOG.php for details on what is new.
In 9.0 there is now added support for multiple jobs. During upgrade, all existing position assignments are converted to Job Assignments, for more information go to Upgrading and Using Job Assignments.