Totara Connect is a single-sign-on and user identity solution for multiple Totara instances. Connected sites can share user accounts and logins allowing for either all users or selected audiences to navigate between the connected site seamlessly using single sign on technology.
It is now possible to connect your multiple Totara LMS or Totara Social sites to a single Totara LMS site that will act as an identity server.
Totara Connect requires one Totara LMS site to act as the server. Once Totara Connect has been enabled and configured on the server it is then possible to start connecting more Totara LMS or Totara Social sites as clients.
Once connected the designated users and user collections will be synchronised from the server to the client.
Totara Connect server
Totara Connect is a self contained plugin, that facilitates the server side aspects of connecting sites effectively allowing the site to act as a master to which client sites can connect and synchronise.
Once enabled a new administration section will become available at Site administration > Users > Accounts > Totara Connect server.
Even when enabled, by itself, the server plugin is inactive. It is not until a second Totara LMS (or Totara Social site) is connected as a client that the Totara Connect server provides added functionality.
Totara Connect client
The Totara Connect client is an authentication plugin that facilitates a connection between the current site and one or more Totara LMS sites with an active Totara Connect server.
Setting up Totara Connect client for Totara LMS
Once you've enabled the Totara Connect server, you'll then need to configure the Totara Connect client.
- Log in to the client site as site administrator.
- Go to Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > Manage authentication.
- Enable Totara Connect client by selecting the icon in the Enable column.
Go to Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > Manage authentication > Totara Connect client > Servers.
Click Connect to new server.Note down the Client url and Client setup secret as you'll need this information to complete the setup
Log in as a site administrator to the site which is acting as the Totara Connect server.
- Go to Site administration > Users > Accounts > Totara Connect server > Client systems.
- Click Add client.
- Enter a name for your client, including the client URL and setup secret details you noted down earlier.
- If you want to only add users from a specific audience to your Totara client site, select the audience from the Restrict to audience dropdown.
- If you want to synchronise users from one or more audiences, click the Add audience button and choose the audience(s) you want to add.
- If you want to synchronise courses, click the Add course button and choose the course(s) you want to add.
Once complete, click Add client.You'll now see that there is an active connection between the server and the client sites and a new option will become available on the login page of the client site.
Setting up Totara Connect client for Totara Social
To set up a Totara Connect client for Totara Social please see the Totara Social 2.0 documentation for further information.
On this page