This is an experimental feature.
User tours can be a useful way of presenting additional information on-screen. There are many ways to use this feature including, to walk users through the information on a particular screen, to explain how to complete an action, or to produce a single introductory welcome-styled dialogue box.
For example, when onboarding new users to your site it is important to make sure they are comfortable with navigation and how to find the information they need. This can be tedious and logistically challenging, especially in larger organisations and those whose employees are geographically dispersed. The Tours feature allows you to setup an initial automated walk-through for orientation.
Users can end the tour at any time, navigate back and forth through the steps, or reset the tour then replay it as many times as they want (although it only plays automatically once).
What you end up with is a series of instructional bubbles that will step the users through the page you have created the tour for.
(The video above is taken from the Dashboards and basic theming course in the Totara Academy).
Creating a new tour
A Site Administrator, or another role with Create, edit, and remove user tours (tool/usertours:managetours) capability, can set up the User Tour by following these steps:
- From the quick-access menu go to Development > Experimental > User tours.
- Click on Create a new tour.
- Enter the details of where and who the tour is for, then click the Save changes button.
- This will take you back to the list of tours; click on the name of your new tour to start creating steps.
- Next click New step to add your first step.
- Fill out the details of that step (e.g. location and content) then click Save changes.
- Repeat sets 5 and 6 until you have completed your tour.
When you've created all of your steps your tour is ready. If you've not enabled it already, enable it (by going into the tour settings) to make it active.
Now you can browse to where your tour starts and experience it.
There is a Reset user tour on this page link in the footer than can be used to re-experience a tour.
After you have setup at least one tour you will be able to manage your existing user tours by going to Quick-access menu > Development > Experimental > User tours.
Within this page you can edit the name or description of a tour by clicking the pencil icon next to it.
The Actions column allows you to perform the following to the tour in the same row as the icons:
- Enable/disable the tour (eye icon)
- Edit the settings (cog)
- Export the tour (up arrow)
- Delete the tour (cross)
Import a tour
You may wish to import a user tour (perhaps if you have multiple Totara sites), this can be done from the user tours management interface. Before you can import you will need an exported tour file, which will have the extension .json.
- Click the Import tour button.
- Add the file using File picker or by dragging and dropping the file.
- Finally, click Save changes.
You will then be shown the steps within the imported tour, so that you can edit them as desired.
The Totara Academy has a whole course dedicated to using Dashboards and basic theming in Totara. Here you can learn more on how to customise your site's appearance, see best practice, and give it a go yourself.